Congratulations to Eddie Gamarra
Youth soccer profile: Our Lady Queen of Peace's Eddie Gamarra one of the good guys
Eddie Gamarra has been a fixture in the Our Lady Queen of Peace soccer program for over 40 years. (Photo courtesy of ENYYSA)
By Jerry Lee | email@example.comStaten Island Advance
on November 05, 2014 at 6:27 PM, updated November 06, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Eddie Gamarra has lived in New Dorp for 44 years and for most of them he has been the face of the Our Lady Queen of Peace soccer program.
And what a face! In more ways than one.
Eddie immigrated to the United States and Staten Island in 1965 with his wife Peggy and, in 1980, she heard that Our Lady Queen of Peace was looking to start a soccer program.
As usual, you know what you find behind every great man? Yet some would say Eddie didn't need much pushing but Peggy was there to nudge.
Eddie applied and along with Sal Parello, co-founded the soccer program with Sal Parello. Shortly after, the OLQP Blue Jays were born. His children –– Eddie Jr., Mark and Matthew –– all played for the program.
Eddie has been involved in soccer his entire life. He played the world's most popular sport while growing up in Lima, Peru and competed for the youth team of renowned club Alianza Lima as a teenager.
Enthusiasm for sports runs in the family as Eddie's father was a championship Pan American Games athlete, his mother was a big basketball fan and his older brother, Galo, was a Senior PGA Pro.
The Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) recently named Eddie Gamarra its Personality of the Month for November.
"Eddie is a great friend and great leader of his organization," said Staten Island Youth Soccer League (SIYSL) president Bill Smith. "He has always been about the children and is one of the fairest gentleman you could ever hope to meet.
"Many other people in Staten Island soccer look up to Eddie for advice and leadership. With 34 years involved with our league, I sometimes have to ask him how things were and what they would have done years ago," Smith added.
Eddie has served as the soccer program's president since 1980 with a six-year hiatus from 1988 to 1994 when Robert Ollis filled that role. Eddie developed OLQP into a model program and has coached many teams, both boys and girls, through the years. Currently, 217 children –– 117 girls and 100 boys –– proudly wear their blue and gold soccer uniforms while playing at Miller Field.
The now 71-year-old enjoys the fun-filled times with the club as it grew into a family and he has developed lifelong friends. The annual club soccer dance has become a favorite event. It always ends with the crowd clamoring for "One more hour!" and Eddie joyfully complies, convincing the DJ to continue the fun.
Eddie's generosity is seen throughout the parish as he always finds a discreet way to cover the cost for a struggling family whot can't afford the fees. In 1986, this generosity and commitment was recognized when he was honored with the "Heroes and Heroines" award, a program that honors local residents for their outstanding work in the community.
Eddie has served in various positions for the SIYSL, including vice president, and he was inducted into the SIYSL Hall of Fame in 2009. He now enjoys coaching the children of the players he once coached and is grateful for all the support he has received over the years.
"Probably my proudest moment on a soccer field occurred when two players who I coached, Joe Argento and Danny Cumminskey, returned and volunteered to coach my youngest son Matthew's team," Eddie said.
D License Course -REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Click the link to register
Need to know information
Friday 1/24/2015 - 6:30pm-9:30pm-MANDATORY INFORMATION SESSION
Saturday 3/21/2015 -9:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 3/22/2015 - 9:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday 6/13/15 - 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sunday 6/14/2015 - 9:00am - 6:00pm
Michael J Petrides School
715 Ocean Terrace
Staten Island, NY 10314
The new USSF D license has four distinct phases:
1. "Preparation Phase" - Candidates can pre-register for a course up to two (2) months in advance. Each candidate is assigned five (5) coaching sessions which they plan, prepare and teach. Each session plan is discussed with a course instructor and feedback is give. Each candidate must be prepared to video and send segments of their recorded sessions to their instructor for review and evaluation.
2. Instruction Phase (face to face) - Friday night, Saturday and Sunday (weekend #1) - Instructors executes and individual review of the following:
- E course performance
- 5 session plans and self evaluation
3. Deliberate Practice Phase - multi week phase after instruction phase. Each candidate completes 5 coaching sessions and has dialog with course instructor while planning and evaluation these five (5) sessions. Each candidate must be prepared to video and sen segments of their recorded sessions to their instructor for review an evaluation.
4. Performance Review Phase - Saturday and Sunday - During this final weekend some additional instructor sessions are presented and final field testing takes place. All candidates must bring their five (5) deliberated coaching session plans to course.
• "E" Licensee
• 6 months of coaching experience
• Minimum age – 18 years old
Important: Dress for physical activity/bring plenty of fluids/bring inflated soccer ball and pen.
New Scheduling Site
Link to new scheduling site
Actual Permits will be posted to the download page
Saturday's SF 2,3,7,8,9,10, B1 B2 ( 9am to Dusk) F20 1 to Dusk
Sunday's SF 2,3,6,7,8,9,10, B1 B2 ( 9am to Dusk) F20 9 to 5
Monday to Friday 6,7,8,9,11 B1 B2 ( 3pm to Dusk)
Mon,Wed,Fri F20 ( 3pm to Dusk )
( There are no time slots "held" for practices at OH we are trying to utilize all times for games. There are some open times but are subject to change based on make upsor game changes)
Mondays- Friday 3-9p
Sundays 9:30am -5:30pm
Sat- Sunday 9am-dusk
Sat- Sunday 9am-dusk
visitors since 11/08/2010